Where We Work - ASIA
Sport Matters aims to make a difference in developing communities in Asia, extending from South Asia, East Asia, and the Middle East, using sport as a tool for development.
Location: Nonghet District (Xieng Khouang Province)
Project: Child and Youth Participation for Development
Target population: Children and youth in 12 villages in Nonghet using sport to promote voice, power and agency and develop life skills.
Project Partners: ChildFund Laos, Lao Rugby Federation and Sport Matters
• Delivered training to 52 Youth Leaders from 12 target villages in Nonghet as part of the first phase of the project - 'Activate'
• Youth Leaders delivered 45 minute practical session to over 80 children and youth in Nonghet Tai and Namkonngoua as part of the practical training.
• Youth Leaders now conduct regular sport and play sessions in their villages encouraging participation from children and youth.
• Delivered professional development training to staff of ChildFund Laos in their field office in Nonghet, and staff and coaches of Lao Rugby Federation.
Children in Namgonngoua learning to play football during a practical session during Youth Leader training, Laos.
• Local youth leaders delivered inter-village sporting activities during the H'mong New Year celebrations in December with strong community support.
• Selected volunteers have been engaged in exchange events in Vientiane with the Lao Rugby Federation.
• Over 150 young women and girls participated in a touch rugby tournament to celebrate International Women's Day.
A volleyball competition brings neighbouring villages together through sport for H'mong New Year celebrations in Laos.
After initial capacitiy-building workshops, regular sport and play activities in twelve villages and special events such as the H'mong New Year and International Women's Day activities are entirely youth-led!
Read the latest article from ChildFund Laos on the project's impact on the International Platform on Sport and Development.
Sport Matters is designing a sport for development initiative in Timor-Leste in collaboration with local and international organisations. We are currently liaising with in-country representatives to assess local development needs and priorities.
If your organisation is interested in developing a partnership with Sport Matters in Asia, please contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.