Where We Work - PACIFIC
Country: SOLOMON ISLANDS
Project: Sports Outreach Solomon Islands
Target population: People with disabilities in the Solomon Islands
Project Partners: Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR), Solomon Islands Paralympic Committee (SIPC), Swiss High Commission, ENABLE Development and Sport Matters
Sport Matters will deliver a train-the-trainer wheelchair basketball program in October 2012 in Honiara to enable people with disabilities to access sport, many for the first time.
Project: Australian Sports Outreach Program (ASOP) Fiji
Target population: People with disabilities in Fiji
Project Partners: Australian Sports Commission (ASC), Fiji Paralympic Committee (FPC), Fiji Association of Sport and National Olympic Committee (FASANOC), Fiji Disabled People's Federation (FDPF) & Fiji National Council for Disabled People (FNCDP) and Sport Matters
Sport Matters conducted a series of community consultations in Fiji in 2011 in partnership with the Australian Sports Commission and their Australian Sports Outreach Program which aims to improve quality of life for people with disabilities in Fiji through sport.
DPO Members from across Fiji came together in Suva to learn about disability, sport and development.
- A day-long workshop with representatives from Disabled People's Organisations (DPOs) from Suva, Labasa, Lautoka, Rewa, Savu Savu, Tavua, Tailevu North and Wai.
- A presentation at the Board of Management Meeting at FASANOC
- A series of one-to-one meetings with National Sport Federations including; Cricket, Table-Tennis, Football, Athletics, Basketball, Golf and Powerlifting
- Meetings with key stakeholders – FPC, FDPF, FASANOC and FNCDP and Suva-based DPOs – Fiji Association for the Deaf, United Blind Persons of Fiji and Spinal Injuries Association of Fiji
- Recommendations for the expansion of the ASOP Fiji Program
Sport Matters is currently exploring new partnerships in the Solomon Islands for a sport for development initiative with a focus on health and disability.
If your organisation is interested in developing a partnership with Sport Matters in the Pacific, please contact the team at
National Sport Federations put their heads together to develop disability-inclusive sport in Fiji